Monday, September 10, 2007

Gig snaps: Vijaya's student concert, Forest session with Tenzin

Sri Krishna Music Academy Student Concert - Sat Sep 1

Some photos from Vijaya Visvanathan's student concert last week. I'd love to show you some photos of the cute Indian kids singing but no-one has sent me one yet...

Arthavan Selvanathan (mridingam), me and Atul (harmonium - student of Vijaya-ji)
Arthavan is 16 years old and was so much fun to play with!

Arthavan, Vijaya Visvanathan and myself after the concert
Vijaya-ji did a fantastic job. I have played in a few of her student concerts and this was the best one by far - very entertaining and varied. Her lead students, Menaka Visvanathan (her daughter) and Lavanya Lingam were just fabulous.


World Music Wednesdays with Shen @ The Forest - Opening Night

A couple of snaps from the first night of my new weekly gig at The Forest vegetarian cafe in Boundary St, West End. Last week my good mate Tenzin Choegyal came down with friend Katherine on cello, and Tony Kicken aka Magambo added some fabulous impro vocal. I think there will be some regular and irregular participants every week, so if you're in town please come on down.

Katherine Philp (cello), Tenzin Choegyal (flute/vocal/dranyen), Tony Kicken (vocal), Shen (tabla)

And Nab joined us on oud for a bit too.

No comments: