Tuesday, July 03, 2007

5 days, 4 concerts and a picnic

It's the busy end of my Japan tour. My time in Japan is coming to a close but it's going to a new place every day from here on it seems!

Some photos from last 5 days: 4 concerts and a picnic!

Thursday: Kyoto

Thanks to Christophe Rossi and Ayumi for hosting me in Shiga this week.
Their loungeroom, my tabla.


I played with Tadao Ishihama at Mandala Party @ Hati Hati Indonesian Restaurant in Kyoto. Unfortunately for us the sound system and room acoustics weren't well suited to sitar and tabla. I've been loving my tabla sound especially this week, so this was a bit of a downer. Anyway - true professionals, I think we put on a good show.

Mandala & the Tribe @ Hati Hati. Unfortunately Tadao & I had to get back to Osaka so we couldn't stay for Amadoo and Pese Pese (African music).


Friday: Osaka

Performing with Tadao at WORLD MUSIC LIVE vol.1 in Osaka. The event was held in a centre for Okinawan culture (hence all the bottles of awamori behind us). Thanks to friends Kazumi and Nobi for coming along! :-)

In Osaka, this is called "blending in"


Saturday: Kyoto

The stage for our concert at Zuiren-ji temple, Kyoto

The altar at Zuiren-ji

Christophe Rossi @ Zuiren-ji.
This was a beautiful concert - lovely setting, many friends, and Christophe's sweet and sincere sitar playing. Thanks again to Christophe, Ayumi and also to Asai-san of Zuiren-ji.


Sunday: Kyoto, night-bus

It was my good friend and old tabla student Alex' birthday and we had a picnic up near Shugakuin Dam in north-east Kyoto. Lots of cute half-Japanese kids.


Monday: Kyushu

I took the night bus to Kyushu and arrived in Kokura, North Kyushu at 6am Monday morning for a concert that night with Hide Iwai. We have 4 more concerts later this week.

Performing with Hide Iwai @ Brick Hall in Moji, North Kyushu

We were joined by Takuya, a final year high school student and Beatles lover. He sang "Rain" and "In My Life" - nice selection, ne.

Hide, post-gig
Brick Hall is a very stylish yet relaxing cafe-bar-live house in the port area of Moji, North Kyushu, in a renovated old beer brewery built of red-brick. Lots of comfy sofas and loads of space. The building reminded me a bit of Calcutta and the interior was reminiscent of Australia. Thanks to Kamura-san for hosting us!


Coming Up: The rest of my Kyushu tour with Hide, another temple concert in Kyoto with Christophe, return to Australia via Tokyo and Bangkok, and visits to Sydney and Melbourne.


----- COMMENTS APPRECIATED -----


No comments: