Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Delhi

After a few days in Bangkok I flew in to Delhi on Dec 1 and had a few days' lessons at Kathak Kendra with my senior guru-bhai, Govinda Chakraborty. Actually Govinda-da was quite busy that week so I mostly took some rhythms from his students in Basant Taal (9 beats), Ashtamangal (11 beats) and Dhamar (14 beats). It was great as always to be a part of a group of students, and I got a lot of great material to practise over the next while in Varanasi - and some renewed enthusiasm too!

I was lucky enough to get a right-side window seat on the flight from Bangkok to Delhi, and had magnificent Himalayan views most of the way.


Kathak Kendra in Delhi, the National Kathak Dance School, where I had tabla lessons from Dec 1-4


My fellow students at Kathak Kendra


The hardest working guy in the room, Shri Saeed-Ur-Rehman providing nagma on sarangi.


My senior guru-bhai and teacher in the last few years, Govinda Chakraborty and myself.

The platform at Rajiv Chowk on the Delhi Metro. For you old-timers who haven't been to Delhi for a few years, Rajiv Chowk is the new name for Connaught Circus. You can get around the city very quickly and cheaply on the Metro.

No comments: