Tuesday, September 20, 2022

2020 Covid Era events and activities

After my "Last Concert" of the pre-Covid in March 2020, I had just three more concerts that year. 

At first when we and most of the world were in lockdown, I was very happy to have a strong student base which transitioned very easily to online lessons:


On Friday 3rd July I joined an online concert with Menaka Thomas and Tenzin Choegyal, but I never really felt the urge to perform online and haven't done another since. It was a nice jam session in the lounge room but I had no sense that we were doing a concert.

Within a couple of months I was back to face-to-face lessons, but public concerts were still not happening. We usually have our Ashu Babu Memorial Tabla School Concerts in July, around the time of Guru Purnima, but that was going to be very difficult, so I put together the following group video for that year's Guru Purnima offering:


By September the laws in Queensland had relaxed to the point that we concerts with limited audience were feasible. 

On Saturday 5th September my senior student Jesinthan Ketheeswaran and I joined an item in SRJ Rhythm Academy’s annual concert featuring mridangam students of Arthavan Selvanathan and us accompanying vocalist Sharujan Mahendrarajan. 

On Friday 11th September Tibet2Timbuk2 performed at the Dust Temple in Currumbin. I remember driving there and feeling a bit nervous as we approached the last exit before the NSW border, because if I missed the exit, coming back across the border into Queensland would be quite a hassle. It was a lovely event - performing with Tenzin Choegyal and Tibet2Timbuk2 is always a joy.

No comments: