Friday, September 26, 2014

7th Annual Ashu Babu Memorial Tabla School Concert

On Guru Purnima in July 2014, my tabla students and I celebrated our 7th annual tabla school concert. For the second year we held it in the beautiful QLD Multicultural Centre auditorium. All the kids did their best and as usual the main benefit I saw was all the extra practice and polishing of repertoire in the month before the concert. The concert itself is always a happy gathering of all the students and our family and friends. Many thanks to those who attended as well as Brisbane Indian Times for the little extra support necessary to make the event succeed.


All my gurus: Main guru-ji Late Pt Kaviraj Ashutosh Bhattacharya; first guru Sri Debapriya Bhattacharya; guru-ji's youngest son Dr Debabrata Bhattacharya; senior guru-bhai Sri Govinda Chakraborty; close guru-bhai Sri Manishankar Tripathi; other guru-jis I've had some lessons with Pt Nayan Ghosh and Pt Suresh Talwalkar.



Opening bhajan by Susmitha Ravi with Rhea Ravi on tabla; harmonium by Sri Joseph Abhay Nand


New beginners: Aaryan, Arun, Josh


More experienced youngsters: Mann, Rushi, Smit, Ashwin, Ayngaran, Siva


Intermediate: Avanish, Hari, Sivamsan, Nikhil, Rhea


Northside class: Bipro and Ishaaq


Gold Coast class: Thejan and Nitin


Advanced class: Sanjey, Jesinthan, Tito


My own tabla solo, in which I attempted to play at least one thing learnt from each of those tabla players who have strongly influenced me.


All the performers with certificates, featuring the Benares Gharana lineage.

No comments: