Friday, February 19, 2010

Melting Pot Festival - Tibet2Timbuk2 and more

I had loads of concerts this week: After playing with Jai Uttal in Byron on Thursday, I was very busy at BEMAC's Melting Pot Festival at Queensland Performing Arts Centre (QPAC). Melting Pot is on the afternoons of one weekend a month for the next few months, and the first two editions are focusing on Indian and Tibetan music. While I'd known I would be playing with Tibet2Timbuk2 for a while, just a few days beforehand I was surprised to be invited for 2 more performances on the same day. So except for the opening act (Bollywood dance), I was on stage all day. And it was hot! Thanks to Vijaya Visvanathan and Shrabani Choudhury for inviting me to accompany them, and also to Menaka Visvanathan for joining Tibet2Timbuk2. A wonderful afternoon of music - and I hope no one got tired of hearing my tabla!


Shen accompanying Vijaya and Menaka Visvanathan (Carnatic vocalists)


Shen accompanying Shrabani Choudhury (sitar), in Raga Madhuvanti, Teentaal Madhya Lay and Drut Lay


Tibet2Timbuk2 : Tenzin, Shen, special guest Menaka, and Marcello


On the second day, Tenzin Choegyal had a solo show, which he invited me to play in as well.


Tibet2Timbuk2 minus Marcello - would that be "Tibet 2"?

No comments: