Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cows at the Beach - Indo-Jazz with Toby Wren

I had a really nice 1 hour gig with jazz guitarist Toby Wren and harmonium player Sean Foran (of Misinterpretato) at Ric's Bar in Fortitude Valley on Sunday afternoon. For non-Brisbane people, the Valley is the main nightclub and entertainment district in Brisbane. I haven't had a gig there in years! (or it feels like that.... actually I played there twice last year.)

This Sunday afternoon Ric's thing is Toby's new weekly gig, entitled "cows at the beach", and was my first chance to play with him. We played 3 of Toby's compositions and I really really enjoyed learning and playing them. Toby has spent time in South India studying Carnatic music and incorporates a lot of those rhythms into his music. I hope we can play together many times more!

Toby can't make the show on Sunday July 26, so I'll be covering him with the band formerly known as Jaadu - Robert Welsh (piano), Ravi Welsh (guitar), Cieavash Arean (Persian instruments/vocals), Shen (tabla). As Robert wants to use that name for another project, we're looking for a new name - any suggestions most welcome, please click the comments link below.

Shen Flindell (tabla), Toby Wren (guitar), Sean Foran (harmonium)

No comments: