Friday, August 17, 2007

Melbourne: Jazz fusion with Jonathan Dimond

A couple more snaps from Melbourne...

During a performance/lecture with Jonathan Dimond at Box Hill TAFE
Jonathan Dimond not only plays amazing jazz bass but also trombone and tabla, and his jazz compositions feature many influences from Indian music. Last Wednesday afternoon we gave a performance/lecture at Box Hill TAFE where he teaches. Most of the 2 hour session was spent with he and I in discussion and answering students' questions about Indian music, tabla, learning music, improvising... We also played Raga Bhairavi (on fretless bass) in rupak taal, a tabla solo in teentaal, and one of Jonathan's compositions, Jog Blues. Thanks for inviting me Jonathan!

The obligatory Melbourne tram photo
Melbourne has a distinct atmosphere, very multicultural (many Indians and Chinese), lots of shops and restaurants, colder weather than Brisbane, and there are trams. I spent a day visiting St Kilda where I used to live back in 1994, the year I started tabla...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

tabla and jazz, nice desune-

Anonymous said...

Do let me know when you are next in Melbourne!
Cheers, 'BB'.