Wednesday, September 02, 2020

Tabla solo @ The Little Big Bang

I had my last pre-COVID concert in early March 2020 - The Little Big Bang. My old friend Elliott Orr began playing African drums around the same time that I started tabla. When he moved to Brisbane in 1995, and I'd just returned from my first trip to India, we moved in together and I joined his percussion group Bubada Dubada. Since those heady days, Elliott has gone on to be the top African drumming guy around Brisbane (even having moved to Byron recently). We used to have a monthly gig called The Big Bang, but nowadays it's The Little Big Bang, held in smaller halls. There are always performances by Zormiwasa (Elliott's weekly workshop participants), and Spankinhide (the descendant of Bubada Dubada, in which I am casual shaker player).

For the 7th March 2020 edition, Elliott invited me to come and play tabla solo! It was really nice to play a relaxed teentaal tabla solo (with the great Lehra Studio app by Aman Kalyan), for a percussion audience not necessarily used to full length tabla solo. They were a really great, attentive audience, and it made me feel I would like to do more of this! Here's a snippet in a Facebook video:

No comments: